I'm having a difficult time deciding how to organize my bookshelves...
They were by author's last name and split by fiction/non-fiction...your basic organizational structure.
Then I got bored and switched it up...I did it more by genre...biography/memoir, literary, chicklit/popular, classics, historical fiction, religion, etc...but I'm not loving it.
My brother is always amazed that I don't have a "to-read" shelf. For some reason he thinks I'll forget that I have dozens of books on my shelves that I haven't read. He has four shelves dedicated to his to-reads, I think that would stress me out!
Thoughts?
Hello? Have you not considered dewey decimal system?
ReplyDeleteI have...but my speciality is not classification. If I had a label-maker, I might be more interested in taking on the task of discovering what the correct number would be. (And I think it would drive me crazy to have so much in the 800s and 92s instead of in the other classes.)
ReplyDeleteohh man. i like to think that my bookshelf has been arranged "artfully," meaning not at all. it's kind of a mess.
ReplyDeleteI arrange the books that are by the same author by when they were published and the other books just mill around together....
ReplyDeleteI arrange by a sort of personalized genre system... historical, popular fiction, classic fiction, "religious/spiritual" (I KNOW...), other non-fiction, child-friendly/humor (bottom, child-reachable shelves), professional/job related... We also have a couple of series-related shelves (Dark Tower, Harry Potter, etc.) We also have a Bradbury shelf. And a sci-fi shelf. And of course the "to-read" shelf. I know what we own that I haven't read; I just like being able to go to one particular shelf when I'm looking for something new to read.
ReplyDeleteGood grief, that was certainly enough information.