My spiritual beliefs are very much mine. It has taken a long time for me to figure out what I believe and where I stand. I am incredibly tolerant of other people's beliefs...it is silly to argue religion or to try to convince someone to change their views...but one can only take so much.
Our cousin and her husband have come to visit...they are older - I believe in their 50s. When it comes to religion and politics...we differ. My cousin's husband has now started two (lengthy) "conversations" (mostly he talks and I smile and nod) with me about religion. I will sit and listen until someone is done talking, but when they start judging other religions I have to stop it! I don't care what your beliefs are, don't judge others. Simply because what you believe is true to you - it is NOT true to others. Simply because they do something you don't understand, doesn't make it wrong.
Also...if you want to criticize someone else's beliefs, you should probably be able to handle criticism of your own .
I'm not in the mood to argue...and I'm sure it's clear that I do not believe what he believes. As the daughter of a Pentecostal, I know how they work. I know that he will continue to talk until he convinces me, it's not going to happen. They're only here for a short time. I can handle it without exploding. The universe is just testing my patience.
Oh I feel for ya on this one! I went through this with my step-mom while she was here visiting for a week... she went on like that about religion, politics, minorities, food habits... it was exhausting.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on how I think and feel about stuff but after awhile it's hard to keep your mouth shut huh? lol