Saturday, May 22, 2010

Aren't bookstores supposed to sell books? And if that's the business bookstores are in...shouldn't the main display in the bookstore be books? I don't mind that e-readers exist...I don't mind that Barnes & Noble sells them...but I do mind that when I walk in the store the first display I see is for an eReader...NOT books. People do not go into bookstores to buy eBooks.

I do not believe that the traditional book will be disappearing anytime soon despite all the attention eReaders are getting these days. I feel that there are way too many issues with Digital Rights Management and liscensing that will turn many people away. Remember all of those people that got books that they PURCHASED removed from their Kindles?! Not to mention, what if you buy a Kindle then decide you want a Nook...guess what?! All those tiny bits of memory are attached to your Kindle and you can't just move 'em over to your Nook.

Then there's all the other issues with electronics...the big one being that they break. You may not lose the books purchased (unless they - the actual owners, ie Amazon and BN - decide to remove access), but you will have to buy a new $300 gadget so you can re-download all of your purchases. Or there's always the issue of dropping it in the pool...it is summertime and I know I can't be the only one that reads in the pool!

And...you want to let your friends borrow your book? Nope...cause it's not really yours. In some cases, they may let you share it a few times, but it's nothing like going to the library or just letting your friend borrow your phsyical copy of the book. Heck...remember that little piece in Copyright law that let's people do whatever they want with their purchases (First Sale Doctrine - it basically allows libraries and used bookstores to exist)?! That means nothing with eReaders and eBooks thanks to the DCMA and DRM!

OK...I'm done. That's my rant for the night.

2 comments:

  1. I don't want an e-reader in the slightest. I'm perfectly fine with my real books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to everything you said,Melissa. While I respect those who enjoy digital books,I really don't think they will become the be-all and end all of literature.

    It's a fresh new medium that needs to find the right niche(and a universal e-reader)for folks to click into. Print books will never completely go away,just like video didn't kill the radio star:)

    ReplyDelete