Friday, May 21, 2010

money sucks.

I have never made great financial decisions. I chose to go to an incredibly expensive, but wonderful, college for undergrad. I took out roughly $45,000 in private student loans to attend my tiny all-women's college and that doesn't include the federal loans. I had a rough time paying a lot of bills after I graduated in 2005. And I stupidly had (and still have) credit cards to pay off from my stupid days when I thought credit cards were magic.

There was a time around 2007/2008 where I was finally able to pay my bills...but then I decided to go back to school and the money troubles started all over again. Not to mention, more student loans (all federal now...private companies screw students over...like putting a time limit on how long you get before you go back to school - I had to use student loans to pay those stupid private student loans because my classes started four months after the deadline).

Now that I do not have student loans coming in...the money troubles are back. Last summer was bad because I was just BROKE and I wasn't prepared for everything that was happening (see my other blog if you want to know what was going...it's too sad to discuss here). However, this summer...I'm prepared.


I have several bills to pay and there are at least two I know I can't afford because one payment is about what I make per paycheck. One is my private student loan payment to Wells Fargo (I finally got them all consolidated and it dropped my monthly payment by half)! The other is my car payment (it's a cute care, but any car that takes 9 years to pay off is ugly). I just called both of those companies and they both approved two-month extensions! Thank goodness! I know that I will still have to pay that...it's just moved to the end, but it's such a huge relief to know that it isn't going to hurt my credit score! Now I can just focus on all the smaller bills and HOPE that I will be full time by the end of July!

Lesson learned: sometimes you just have to ask for help.

2 comments:

  1. Yes you do and believe me... in this dept I've had to ask for LOTS of it. LOTS. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on graduating! At least you don't live in SF where things are super expensive.

    ReplyDelete