I'm reading And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS epidemic and I am angry. It's so unfortunate that it took 5 years and a celebrity's death before anyone truly started paying attention to what was going on! It should be a partisan issue when it comes to providing funds for research...sadly, it is (and it was in the 1980s).
More than anything, reading this makes me realize that I can escape school, but I can't escape learning. I know a lot of random stuff...and I read random nonfiction books. As I read this, I keep doing more research. I want to know everything I can about AIDS. I'm especially intrigued by the bathhouse controversy...I've got a couple of articles from the Journal of Homosexuality that should cover that topic.
If there was a PhD program where I could just learn whatever I wanted and NOT take a stats class or learn a language, that would be great!
No comments:
Post a Comment