Now that I have a personal library catalog, I can see exactly how many books I own. Just over 400 is not what I thought...however, it doesn't really look like that many books on my (overflowing) bookshelves. I'm trying not to buy anymore though until I've read at least 10 of the books on my shelf...and it's not easy. I typically only shop at thrift stores and used book stores (or the bargain shelves at BN and Borders) so if I see something I want I have to buy it because it might not be there next time! It's silly...it's just making my bank account suffer.
However...I did finish a previously unread book on my bookshelf!
The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble...it's your typical story about a reading group with issues (a la The Jane Austen Book Club..and I liked Noble's attempt better). The main characters are women with issues that they sort through on their own and then bring it all back to the group when it's solved. She did get into some really heavy issues though...adultery, abortion, and alzheimer's to name a few. Overall, it was a good poolside read (or if you don't have a pool...I recommend reading it in your backyard on a blanket with lots of breaks to go inside and catch some A/C before you catch more rays).
I know the woes of buying too many and yet not enough books there,Melissa. Something that's helped me a little is joining a book loan program,similar to Netflix.
ReplyDeleteBooksfree lets you rent at least two paperbacks at a time for around ten bucks a month,complete with envelopes to mail them back in at no extra cost to you.
You can also rent audiobooks from them(don't know the prices on that,since I haven't tried that section yet)and return whenever you're done. There are others out there,no doubt,but Booksfree gives me a good deal,so I can wholeheartedly recommend them.
over 400?? i wish i had that many books!
ReplyDelete